Friday, July 9, 2010

93 Days To Go

While our courtship has been chugging along at lightning speed since the day my fiancé and I discovered our mutual love of miso soup, today is the first day I have actually made any quantifiable progress on our wedding plans. Today is July 9, 2010, and our wedding date, as decided over a year ago, is October 10, 2010.

Why with such an extended engagement would we not have made additional progress sooner? On June 4, 2009, I found out I was pregnant. As excited as we were to become parents, it meant we needed to reevaluate our budget and our timeline. It meant I couldn't go dress shopping. I couldn't plan a venue or a honeymoon because I had no idea what motherhood would be like, or what needs an 8 month old child might have at such events. I didn't even know whether or not I would be going back to work, or what our childcare arrangements would be.

It meant switching from obsessive daily browsing of TheKnot.com to obsessive daily browsing of TheBump.com. While other brides-to-be were selecting table linens, I was purchasing cloth diapers and nursing covers. Registering for china turned into registering for bottles and bibs. I didn't completely stop collecting ideas for our wedding, but I kept it casual and mostly online - drug store cashiers aren't great at keeping a straight face when a pregnant woman buys a bridal magazine.

Fast forward 13 months and you've stumbled upon a Stay At Home Mom who called a museum with a baby on her breast in hopes of booking a ceremony and reception site for 40 of her most treasured family and friends. Tomorrow we meet with the caterer, and with any luck by Monday we will have secured the venue. Baby-friendly honeymoon plans should be finalized within about a week.

When I looked at just how close we were cutting it with such a popular date (10/10/10), I realized that there may very well be other whirlwind nuptials in the works. Some for the same date, and some in the future. I invite you to follow my journey, pick up some tips, learn from my mistakes, and wish me luck in pulling my dream wedding together in about 90 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment